Heating your home or cabin with wood is an inexpensive and efficient way to get through the cold months. Here at Don't Move Firewood, we support the use of firewood when properly sourced (locally harvested or heat treated!) and to help educate people on the topic of home heating with firewood, we've released our first in our new series of infographics: Firewood for Home Heating.
Download options: Full Resolution PDF | Low Resolution JPG for Web or Powerpoint
Looking for our Ohio specific versions? Ohio Infographic Information | Ohio Full Resolution PDF | Ohio Low Resolution JPG for Web or Powerpoint
We could not have made such an informative resource without the information from these excellent sources (listed by roughly three rows of content):
Top left to right:
- Jacobi WR, Hardin JG, Goodrich BA, Cleaver CM, 2012. Retail firewood can transport live tree pests. Journal of Economic Entomology
- Hearth, Patio, and Barbeque Association, accessed 2015
- Haack RA, Petrice TR, Wiedenhoeft AC, 2010 Incidence of bark- and wood-boring insects in firewood: a survey at Michigan's Mackinac Bridge. Journal of Economic Entomology
Middle left to right:
- The Nature Conservancy, 2010. A Survey of Pests, Pathogens, and the Public. For complete information on this survey, contact Leigh Greenwood at LGreenwood at TNC.org.
Diss-Torrance, A, Peterson, K, Robinson, C. 2015 Changing movement of firewood by campers: an eight year study of effect of regulation and education, in prep. Access a recent webinar covering this research on the Don't Move Firewood blog or email Andrea Diss-Torrance, Invasive Forest Insects Program Coordinator for the State of Wisconsin, for more information.
Bottom left to right:
- The Nature Conservancy, 2010 (see above)
- Diss-Torrance, A. 2015 (see above)
- Environmental Protection Agency, BurnWise campaign, accessed 2015
- The Alliance for Green Heat
Please note that this infographic was revised slightly in December 2015 to clarify the wording and intent of the moisture content information on the bottom right.
Do you love this graphic so much that you'd like to share a little piece of it on a social media account? Here are three pieces for you to choose from!