Do you want to protect trees and forests from invasive pests this year? Here's a list of resolutions to help you buy and burn firewood the right way.
- First, don’t move firewood. That means use firewood from under 50 miles as a general rule of thumb- although in some places, the rules can be 10 miles or even no movement at all.
- Instead, buy or cut, and burn, locally cut firewood.
- If you must move firewood, buy certified heat treated bundled wood
- If you or someone you know has already moved firewood, burn it completely. Do not take it back, do not leave it. Make sure to pick up and burn any bark that gets knocked off- those little pieces can have hundreds of insect eggs on them!
- Tell your friends that in 2014, you have resolved not to move firewood
Thanks for everyone’s support this year, and have a Happy New Year!