Join us for a FOCI webinar, Resources for Jumpstarting Outreach on Invasive Species, on Thursday, February 22 2018 at 11am Eastern (8am Pacific, 9 Mountain, 10 Central). This webinar is being held in coordination with the Emerald Ash Borer University Program, EABU, which is managed by the great folks over at emeraldashborer.info. We’ll be talking about the various resource groups and collections that are helpful for inspiration and education of outreach professionals working on the topic of invasive species, with a close focus on non-native forest insects and diseases. This webinar is now complete! We had 36 attendees and a robust Q&A at the end.
- Recorded webinar now available here via the Emerald Ash Borer University YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/Ys5iUDDYsdA and also here, in an identical copy, via the Don’t Move Firewood YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/RetF-PG2yGQ
- (The link to order materials is no longer available. Please email Leigh if you would like to request materials. Thank you.)
Join us for a FOCI webinar, Regulations that apply to moving firewood right now, on Thursday, January 25th 2018 at noon Eastern (9am Pacific, 10 Mountain, 11 Central). The regulations that apply to firewood are often not entirely about the firewood itself, which makes it hard to fully categorize and understand the tangled web of rules and quarantines in North America. During this webinar, the manager of Don’t Move Firewood, Leigh Greenwood, will describe all the different ways in which current regulations criss-cross to create a confusing, and fascinating, regulatory landscape. From Asian longhorned beetle to Arkansas, walnut twig beetle to Wyoming Weed and Pest Control Act, we’ll do our best to accurately represent the scope of a whole continent’s rules and regulations in merely one hour.
- THIS WEBINAR IS NOW COMPLETE. We had 57 attendees from at least 23 states and provinces on the live webinar.
- View the recorded presentation on our YouTube Channel here: https://youtu.be/Hn5c4t3cuC8 Special note: the webinar recording briefly shows a blank screen at about 8 minutes and 18 minutes in. Just sit tight, it resolves itself when the webinar clicks over to the next slide. Sorry about that! Not sure what happened.
- Download a PDF of the Powerpoint slides if desired: DMF-RegsNow2018_1 (8.8MB) .
Dear Don’t Move Firewood,
There is a woman in my town in Maine that is disabled and in need of some firewood. I’m trying to help her out, but don’t know where to start. Can you help?
Trying to Help
Dear Trying to Help,
I’m so glad to see you are working to help someone in your community. The best place to start is by searching online to see if there are any “Wood Banks” (like a Food Bank) in your area. There are quite a few in Maine so you’d need to figure out if one is close enough to help this person out. If that doesn’t work, I’d suggest asking at your local food bank, churches, or community centers to see if anyone can point you in the right direction. Good luck, and thank you for your kindness to this person.
For more information, please visit:
Editor’s Note: we edit, shorten, and make anonymous all Dear Don’t Move Firewood entries- but they are all derived from real emails or Facebook posts!