Maine prohibits the entry of all types of out-of-state firewood unless it meets the firewood treatment standard outlined below:
- Heat-treated to at least 160°F for 75 minutes
- Packaged and clearly labeled with the evidence of heat treatment and the origin of firewood
Any firewood that does not meet the above standard may be confiscated and properly disposed of to prevent the escape of invasive forest pests that may be hiding within the wood. If transporting firewood within Maine, carry proof that the firewood originated within the state. Also keep in mind that it is illegal to move firewood out of some areas in Maine due to the infestation of harmful forest pests in those areas; make sure your area is not under quarantine for one or more of these pests before transporting firewood.
Maine’s firewood quarantine is in place to protect the state’s natural and agricultural resources from destructive tree pests like the Asian longhorned beetle, emerald ash borer, and spotted lanternfly. These pests, among others, spread and infest new areas when people move firewood from location to another.
Campgrounds in Maine often ask campers to buy firewood where you burn it. Baxter State Park prohibits all firewood from outside the park. To find a local firewood vendor in Maine, check out Firewood Scout. Also, many nearby states (e.g., MA, NH, VT) have their own rules on the movement of firewood.
Bringing firewood from Canada into the USA is prohibited unless the firewood is labeled and certified heat-treated. Read about these requirements on the USDA and CBP firewood information sheet.
Bringing firewood from the USA into Canada is prohibited unless the firewood is labeled and certified heat-treated. Canada also encourages visitors to use local firewood through their campaign buylocalburnlocal.ca.
Maine Web Resources
Pest Specific Resources for Maine
- Invasive Forest Pests in Maine
- Emerald Ash Borer in Maine (includes current quarantine information)-
- FAQ on EAB quarantine
- Maine Asian Longhorned Beetle Page
- Spongy Moth North America Quarantine Map
- Pine Shoot Beetle Quarantine in Maine
- Maine Bug Watch, Facebook Page
Firewood Business Related Information
- Maine’s Plant Protection Regulation Summary
- Emergency Order Restricting Firewood Transportation
- Maine Forest Action Plan
Do you have a helpful link for the Maine page? Click on the Submit a Link ribbon below!