The following Wisconsin firewood rules apply to the movement of firewood into and/or within the state:
- Wisconsin prohibits the entry of uncertified firewood out of any areas that are under quarantine for regulated forest pests including Asian longhorned beetle, spongy moth, and mountain pine beetle.
- State and federal authorities prohibit the export of uncertified firewood out of areas within Wisconsin that are quarantined for spongy moth.
- Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources’ permanent rule prohibits the entry of uncertified firewood onto Department owned properties if it originated more than 10 miles from the property or comes from an area infested with spongy moth.
Campgrounds often have additional restrictions on the use or movement of firewood. For example, Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest prohibits the possession, storage, or transport of uncertified firewood that originates more than 25 miles from your campsite. Also, if moving firewood into or through tribal properties, contact the tribe for their policies.
To protect forest resources from harmful pests, find out the rules at your destination before bringing firewood and visit Wisconsin’s Firewood Rules and Resources page for state-wide details. When in doubt, buy it where you burn it – to find local firewood vendors in Wisconsin, visit Firewood Scout.
This summary is accurate to the best of DMF staff abilities as of 10 October 2023.
Wisconsin Web Resources:
- Firewood Rules and Resources, Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
- Moving Firewood in Wisconsin, WI Dept. of Agriculture
- Find firewood vendors in Wisconsin using Firewood Scout
- Firewood Certification and Restrictions, WI Dept. of Agriculture
- Certified Firewood Dealers in Wisconsin
- Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest Firewood Notice
Pest Specific Information
- Asian longhorned beetle Quarantine Requirements
- Emerald Ash Borer in Wisconsin
- Spongy Moth Wisconsin County Quarantine Info
- Spongy Moth Federal Quarantine Interactive Map
- Sudden Oak Death Quarantine Information
- Wisconsin on Lookout for Spotted Lanternfly
- Mountain Pine Beetle Information
- Oak Wilt Information
Do you have a link to suggest for Wisconsin? Click on the Submit a Link ribbon below!