In May of 2018, the highly destructive and invasive emerald ash borer was found in South Dakota. In order to prevent the further spread of this extremely harmful pest, it is illegal to take firewood out of Minnehaha, Turner, and Lincoln counties. It is also illegal to bring firewood into South Dakota from any of the 35 states infested with emerald ash borer.
Due to other states’ quarantines on pests like thousand cankers disease and gypsy moth, it is illegal to bring firewood into South Dakota from most out-of-state sources. Also, because South Dakota is home to damaging tree pests like the mountain pine beetle, firewood should not be taken out of South Dakota. South Dakota’s Game, Fish, and Parks remind firewood users that:
- Firewood is available for purchase in the parks or from local stores outside the emerald ash borer (EAB) quarantine area
- Firewood that has been within an EAB quarantine area should not be brought into any South Dakota state park unless it has been certified and labeled as EAB-treated and safe to move
- For parks located within the EAB quarantine area, outside firewood must also be certified and labeled EAB-treated and safe to move
- If you purchase firewood from a state park within the EAB quarantine area, do not remove it from the park
The Blackhills National Forest also reminds visitors that you can make a difference by obtaining your firewood near to where you will be burning it.
This summary is accurate to the best of DMF staff abilities as of 26 June 2021.
South Dakota Web Resources:
- Camping regulations in South Dakota (see firewood tab)
- Forest Health in South Dakota
- ‘An ecological disaster’: Emerald Ash Borer infestation in South Dakota
- Plant Protection and Invasive Species, Dept. of Ag. and Natural Resources
- South Dakota State News, Obtain Firewood from In-State Sources (January 2017 press release)
- South Dakota State Parks, Camping information (scroll down to Firewood Alert)
Pest Information and Resources:
- Mountain Pine Beetle Information
- Emerald Ash Borer Quarantine
- South Dakota Mountain Pine Beetle Information, beatthebeetles.com
- South Dakota Department of Agriculture Plant Protection directory
- Reminder Firewood from the Sioux Falls Area is Under Quarantine
- Gypsy Moth Quarantine Map
- Emerald Ash Borer Quarantine Map
Do you have more links on firewood in South Dakota? Help us out by clicking on the Submit A Link button below.