Ohio Firewood Summary:
The movement of firewood is tightly regulated by both state and federal authorities in Ohio due to multiple important pest infestations. All of Ohio is in the federal quarantine zone for emerald ash borer, which means that the movement of hardwood firewood and wood products is under regulation and prohibited in most, but not all, circumstances. In some areas of southern Ohio, the movement of nearly all types of hardwood products (including firewood that is kiln-dried, seasoned, or green) is prohibited due to the presence of the Asian longhorned beetle and the associated federal and state quarantines in that region. Additional quarantines on the movement of firewood due to European gypsy moth (firewood cannot be moved out of an area infested with gypsy moth) and thousand cankers disease (firewood from an infested state cannot be brought into Ohio) also apply. The Ohio Dept. of Natural Resources urges campers to not bring firewood into state parks, most parks have local firewood for sale. Regardless of where you are in the state, the Ohio Department of Agriculture and the Ohio Division of Forestry recommend that people limit the movement of firewood when they sell or buy it to protect against the spread of all wood-borne pests. This summary is accurate to the best of DMF staff abilities as of 17 September 2019.
Ohio Web Resources:
- Ohio Department of Natural Resources Forest Insects and Diseases Information
- Asian longhorned beetle – USDA APHIS Ohio Infestation
- Asian longhorned beetle – Ohio Department of Agriculture (Check “Media Updates” for latest news)
- Asian longhorned beetle – Clermont County
- Invasive pests – Ohio Department of Agriculture
- Emerald ash borer – Federal Quarantine and Authorized Transit map
- Thousand cankers disease – State of Ohio External Quarantine
- Thousand cankers disease information and map archives
- European gypsy moth – Ohio Department of Agriculture
- European gypsy moth – North America Quarantine Map
Do you have a suggested link for Ohio? Click on the Submit a Link ribbon below.