Many states in the Great Plains region near North Dakota have areas under quarantine to prevent the further spread of pests such as emerald ash borer, spongy moth, and Asian longhorned beetle; it is illegal to take uncertified firewood out of those quarantined zones and bring it into North Dakota. Additionally, the North Dakota Department of Agriculture has enacted an emerald ash borer quarantine which makes it against the law to move firewood into North Dakota from any of the 36 states where the emerald ash borer is present.
At campgrounds in North Dakota (ND), firewood must originate within 100 miles of the campground, unless it has been officially certified as pest-free. The ND Forest Service prohibits out-of-state firewood at their campgrounds since they will provide a free bundle of firewood for each paid campsite.
The ND Department of Agriculture, ND Forest Service, and NDSU Extension ND Parks and Recreation have some recommendations for firewood users:
- Don’t bring firewood into North Dakota from out-of-state
- Firewood should be bought and used locally to prevent the spread of pests entering the ND as well as within the state
- Ideally, firewood should be transported less than 50 miles from its origin.
Bringing firewood from Canada into the USA is prohibited unless the firewood is labeled and certified heat-treated. Read about these requirements on the USDA and CBP firewood information sheet.
Bringing firewood from the USA into Canada is prohibited unless the firewood is labeled and certified heat-treated. Canada also encourages visitors to use local firewood.
Need to find local firewood in ND? Visit Firewood Scout
This summary is accurate to the best of DMF staff abilities as of 29 August 2022.
North Dakota Web Resources:
- Firewood Information, ND Department of Agriculture
- ND Invasives – What’s wrong with my tree? , North Dakota State University
- Take Precaution Moving Firewood , ND Department of Agriculture
Pest Specific Information
- Protect ND From Emerald Ash Borer, VIDEO by NDSU
- Emerald Ash Borer Quarantine in North Dakota
- Spongy Moth Information , North Dakota Department of Agriculture
- Spongy Moth Federal Quarantine Map
Do you have more links for North Dakota? Help us out by clicking on the Submit A Link button below.