Many states in the Great Plains region near North Dakota have areas under quarantine to prevent the further spread of pests such as emerald ash borer, spongy moth, and Asian longhorned beetle; it is illegal to bring firewood into North Dakota from those quarantined zones. Additionally, the North Dakota Department of Agriculture has enacted an emerald ash borer quarantine which makes it against the law to move firewood into North Dakota from any of the 35 states where the emerald ash borer is present.
The North Dakota Department of Agriculture, North Dakota Forest Service, and NDSU Extension North Dakota Parks and Recreation have some recommendations for firewood users:
- Firewood should be bought and used locally to prevent the spread of pests both within the state, and to prevent pests from accidentally entering the state.
- Ideally, firewood should be transported less than 50 miles from its origin.
At campgrounds in North Dakota, firewood must originate within 100 miles of the campground, unless it has been officially certified as pest-free. The North Dakota Forest Service prohibits out-of-state firewood at their campgrounds since they will provide a free bundle of firewood for each paid campsite.
Bringing firewood from Canada into the USA is prohibited unless the firewood is labeled and certified heat-treated. Read about these requirements on the USDA and CBP firewood information sheet.
Bringing firewood from the USA into Canada is prohibited unless the firewood is labeled and certified heat-treated. Canada also encourages visitors to use local firewood.
Need to find local firewood in ND? Visit Firewood Scout
This summary is accurate to the best of DMF staff abilities as of 24 June 2021.
North Dakota Web Resources:
- North Dakota Department of Agriculture Firewood Information
- What’s wrong with my tree? , North Dakota State University
- Take Precaution Moving Firewood , North Dakota Department of Agriculture
Pest Specific Information
- Emerald Ash Borer Quarantine in North Dakota
- Spongy Moth Information , North Dakota Department of Agriculture
- European Spongy Moth Federal Quarantine Map
Do you have more links for North Dakota? Help us out by clicking on the Submit A Link button below.