The New Brunswick authorities tightly restrict firewood transport to prevent the movement of forest pests both within and out of the province. Several areas in the province are under regulation for invasive tree pests like the spongy moth, Dutch elm disease, European larch canker, and emerald ash borer. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) prohibits the transport of firewood out of a regulated area without a permit. The CFIA urges residents and visitors buy and burn local firewood with the following recommendations to prevent the spread of tree pests:
- Buy local and certified heat-treated firewood (ideally within 80km)
- Do not bring outside firewood into Canada’s national parks
- Do not remove firewood out of any campground
- Tell others about the dangers of moving firewood long distances
Additionally, New Brunswick Parks require campers to buy firewood either at the campground or bring local firewood (park approval required).
Bringing firewood from Canada into the USA is prohibited unless the firewood is labeled and certified heat-treated. Read about these requirements on the USDA and CBP firewood information sheet.
Bringing firewood from the USA into Canada is prohibited unless the firewood is labeled and certified heat-treated. Canada also encourages visitors to buy local, burn local.
This summary is accurate to the best of DMF staff abilities as of 2 November 2023.
New Brunswick Resources
- Buy Local Burn Local, New Brunswick Invasive Species Council
- New Brunswick Invasive Species Council (NBISC), general page
- Pest Species of Concern in New Brunswick
General Canada Web Resources
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency, Firewood Regulations
- US Customs and Border Protection
- Canada Border Services Agency
- Asian Longhorned Beetle Questions and Answers
- Brown Spruce Longhorned Beetle Information
- Emerald Ash Borer, Regulated Areas in Canada
- Spongy Moth Information and Canadian Quarantine
For more information, visit our General Canada Information page.
Do you have better resources for our New Brunswick page? Submit them at the Submit a Link ribbon below!