The New Brunswick authorities tightly restrict firewood transport to prevent the movement of forest pests both within and out of the province. Several areas in the province are under regulation for invasive tree pests like the European gypsy moth, Dutch elm disease, European larch canker, and emerald ash borer. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) prohibits the transport of firewood out of a regulated area without a permit, since harmful forest pests spread to new areas when people move untreated firewood from one place to another. The CFIA urges residents and visitors to follow the “don’t move firewood rules” to prevent the spread of pests both within and among each province; these are summarized on our Canada page.
The New Brunswick Park requires campers to buy firewood either at the campground or bring local firewood (park approval required to ensure local firewood use).
Bringing firewood from Canada into the USA is prohibited unless the firewood is labeled and certified heat-treated. Read about these requirements on the USDA and CBP firewood information sheet.
Bringing firewood from the USA into Canada is prohibited unless the firewood is labeled and certified heat-treated. Canada also encourages visitors to use local firewood.
This summary is accurate to the best of DMF staff abilities as of 21 July 2021.
New Brunswick Resources
- New Brunswick Invasive Species Council
- Emerald Ash Borer Information, NBISC
- Emerald Ash Borer makes the first appearance in Fredericton (2021)
General Canada Web Resources
- Canadian Food Inspection Agency, Firewood Regulations
- US Customs and Border Protection
- Canada Border Services Agency
- Canadian Forest Service Publications
- Asian Longhorned Beetle Questions and Answers
- Brown Spruce Longhorned Beetle Information
- Emerald Ash Borer, Regulated Areas in Canada
- European Gypsy Moth North America Quarantine Map
- Gypsy Moth Information and Canadian Quarantine
For more information, visit our General Canada Information page.
Do you have better resources for our New Brunswick page? Submit them at the Submit a Link ribbon below!