Harmful tree pests like the gypsy moth, Asian long-horned beetle, and emerald ash borer could cause irreversible damage to Montana’s natural resources. As a result, Montana prohibits the transport of firewood from most US states and the Canadian provinces where the emerald ash borer is present. Additionally, Montana authorities provide the following firewood recommendations for to prevent the spread of damaging forest pests:
- Do not move firewood across state lines.
- Buy it where you burn it, both for home heating and camping firewood uses.
- Make sure your firewood comes from within 50 miles (ideally within 10 miles).
- Make sure your firewood is heat-treated or certified pest-free.
- Do not assume that firewood is safe to transport even if it does not have any signs of infestation.
Montana’s State Parks encourages visitors to leave firewood at home and instead buy local firewood at or near their destination. Firewood is available at most camp stores within or near National Park campsites in Montana. It is against the law to gather or cut firewood in Montana’s National Parks except in designated firewood areas.
Bringing firewood from Canada into the USA is prohibited unless the firewood is labeled and certified heat-treated. Read about these requirements on the USDA and CBP firewood information sheet.
Bringing firewood from the USA into Canada is prohibited unless the firewood is labeled and certified heat-treated. Canada also encourages visitors to use local firewood through their campaign buylocalburnlocal.ca.
This summary is accurate to the best of DMF staff abilities as of 29 June 2021.
Montana Web Resources:
- Montana DNRC Don’t Move Firewood information
- Missoula Montana KOA: Don’t Move Firewood information
- University of Montana Pest Diagnostics Lab
Pest Specific Information
- Insects and Disease Information, The Montana Dept of Natural Resources & Conservation
- Emerald Ash Borer, Montana Emergency Quarantine Order
- Potential invasive pests currently of most concern in Montana
Firewood Business Related Information for Montana
- Summaries of External Quarantines for Montana
- Montana Forest Action Plan
- USDA Information Page on Importing Firewood from Canada
Do you have more links for Montana? Help us out by clicking on the Submit A Link ribbon below.