The state of Missouri has several federal and state quarantines on forest pests such as gypsy moth, Asian longhorned beetle, imported fire ant, and thousand cankers disease. As a result, it is illegal to bring untreated firewood into Missouri from most out-of-state sources. Since Missouri is already home to both the highly destructive emerald ash borer and pine shoot beetle , firewood should not be transported out of Missouri – and firewood originating from Clark, Scotland, Lewis, Marion, Adair, and Macon counties cannot be moved to other areas within Missouri or to other states.
Authorities in Missouri highly encourage the public to follow the following firewood recommendations to prevent new infestations and further spread of harmful tree pests:
- Always buy, cut, or collect firewood as near as possible to where you will burn it (within 10 miles is best)
- When camping, burn all your firewood; do not take it home with you
Campgrounds in Missouri often have additional restrictions on the use or movement of firewood, and many of them have firewood available for purchase on-site. Be sure to check the rules at your destination before bringing firewood. When in doubt, buy it where you burn it.
This summary is accurate to the best of DMF staff abilities as of 7 July 2021.
Missouri General Resources
- Missouri Dept. of Conservation Don’t Move Firewood Page
- MDC Firewood Q&A Page
- Extension Tree Pests Page, University of Missouri
- Forest Pests and Diseases, MO Dept. of Agriculture
- Missouri State Parks Firewood Advisory
- MDC Urges Reducing Firewood Movement
- Missouri Forest Health Highlights, 2020
- Firewood Outreach Item Order Form for MO Campgrounds
Pest Specific Information
- Look out for Asian Longhorned Beetle in Missouri
- Emerald Ash Borer Information, MO Dept. of Conservation
- Check Your Ash Trees for Emerald Ash Borer
- Pine Shoot Beetle Info and Quarantine, MO Dept. of Agriculture
- Thousand Cankers Disease, MO Dept. of Conservation
- Thousand Cankers Disease FAQ for Missouri
- Lookout for Spotted Lanternfly in Missouri
Do you have another link for Missouri? Help us out by clicking on the Submit A Link ribbon below.