All residents and visitors of Michigan are strongly encouraged to buy and burn local firewood regardless of where they are located. Many states in the Great Lakes region and beyond have areas under quarantine for pests such as gypsy moth, Asian longhorned beetle, spotted lanternfly, oak wilt, and other damaging invasive forest pests- and it is illegal to move any regulated items (most firewood is considered a regulated item) from any quarantined zone into Michigan. Firewood policies vary greatly among the National Parks, National Forests, private campgrounds, and other lands in Michigan- please see the listing below or call ahead before visiting. This summary is accurate to the best of DMF staff abilities as of 25 February 2020
Crossing from the USA into Canada: It is against Canadian law to bring firewood from the USA into Canada for personal use without an appropriate permit. The firewood must also be packaged and labeled to show it has been heat treated to a minimum core temperature of 56°C for a minimum of 30 minutes. Canada encourages buying local and burning local firewood through their campaign buylocalburnlocal.ca.
Crossing from Canada into the USA: It is against US law to bring any untreated firewood for personal use (including both hardwood and softwood/conifer) from Canada into the USA.
Michigan Web Resources:
- Find firewood vendors in Michigan using Firewood Scout
- Michigan Buy It Where You Burn It information, Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development
Rules in selected National Parks, National Forests, and other Lands
- Isle Royale National Park prohibits firewood obtained outside of the park (see section A (1) General – Firewood)
- Hiawatha National Forest prohibits firewood from outside the area (see “Need to Know” section)
- Huron-Manistee National Forest prohibits firewood from outside the area (see “Need to Know” section)
- Ottawa National Forest prohibits firewood from outside the area (see “Need to Know” section)
- Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore bans ash firewood
- Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore prohibits firewood obtained outside of the park unless from the approved vendor list
Pest Specific Information
- Balsam woolly adelgid Michigan Information (scroll to bottom for quarantine information)
- Emerald Ash Borer page, Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development
- Emerald Ash Borer Federal (National) Quarantine and Authorized Transit map
- European Gypsy Moth North America Quarantine Map
- Hemlock woolly adelgid Michigan Information, Interior Quarantine, and Exterior Quarantine (scroll to bottom for quarantine information)
- Thousand Cankers Disease information for Michigan
- Thousand Cankers Disease quarantine revision notice, January 2018
Do you have a link to suggest for Michigan? Click on the Submit a Link ribbon below!